Thursday, October 31, 2013

Last Minute Chicken Parmesan and Sauteed Mustard Greens

Hey Folks!
My last few weeks have been super crazy with back to back tests on Monday and Tuesday,  a quiz the next Wednesday with a paper due that Thursday, then another test the following Monday and a lab practical on Thursday. Did I mention I have a full time job that is a 40 minute drive, more depending on traffic? Oh, plus family too. I have another test this upcoming Tuesday but I need a break so I decided since my professor allowed us to leave early after the practical that I would go to the library and print off his much appreciated study guide, then whip something up at home and rest my brain . It was 7 pm when I left the university library so I was not going to the grocery. I did however go by the local libation emporium and pick up my favorite cheapy wine, Yellow Tail Chardonnay. Don't judge me, it's my thing. I got home, quickly defrosted my chicken under running water and got to cooking.

Here's what you'll need:
1/2 Cup Roasted Garlic Bread Crumbs
1/2 Cup Italian Bread Crumbs
1 tablespoons Italian Seasoning 
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
Salt (I used Himalayan Pink Sea Salt)
Fresh Black Pepper
8 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cutlets (those are what i had but you can halve then pound breasts for the same end result)
Olive oil
10 cloves garlic, minced
1 whole large onion, (1/2 chopped, 1/2 sliced)
3 Vine Ripe Tomatoes, chopped
Favorite Tomato Basil Sauce ( I used Newman's)
1/2 Cup of white wine (Yellow Tail of course, but I'm sure red is great too)
Room Temperature Mozzarella Cheese (I used shredded store brand because I didn't have fresh on hand)
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 bunch Mustard Greens, washed and stems removed

Directions for Chicken Parmesan:

Combine Italian seasoning, bread crumbs, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and grated Parmesan in a plate for dredging. Mix thoroughly.

Heat olive oil in pan over medium-high heat. I initially use medium high just to make sure my pan is  hot enough, then lower the heat to medium.

Season one side of chicken with salt and pepper, then place seasoned side down in bread crumb mixture. Season the remaining side and flip to completely cover in bread crumbs. Press down to make sure mixture adheres, then shake to rid the meat of any excess crumbs.



Place chicken in hot pan and turn heat to medium. Pan fry until until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes on each side. Once the chicken is beautifully brown and cooked through, remove from pan and set aside, covered with foil.

chicken parm

In the same pan, add the chopped onions and 1/2 the minced garlic and more olive oil if necessary. Stir around picking up any browned bits off the bottom of the pan and cook until onion is translucent. Add your chopped tomatoes and cook for about 3 minutes, then add half your jar of tomato sauce and the wine. Let that simmer for about 10 minutes and taste. Add any additional salt, pepper and Italian seasoning to the sauce then cook for another 10 minutes.





You now have options. You can return the chicken to the pan and place the mozzarella on top and cover to allow the cheese to melt or you can place the chicken on your plate, followed by sauce and then mozzarella.

I returned my chicken to the pan with the sauce to warm it through. When I plated it I flipped it so the sauce side was facing up. I then put my room temperature cheese on top. That is why it's important to have room temperature cheese.  It melts quickly and without much assistance. Now you have beautiful Chicken Parmesan.

chicken parm

Directions for the Sauteed Mustard Greens:

1. While the chicken is cooking place the remaining garlic and sliced onions in a pan and coat with oil and let sit for about 15 minutes while you're preparing your other dish. With the garlic and onion and oil sitting on the hot stove, the oil seems to pick up some of the flavor of the onion and garlic.

2.Cook onion and garlic on medium heat until translucent and starting to slightly brown. Add about a tablespoon of wine to the onion and garlic. Slowly add your mustard greens in bits, seasoning each new addition with salt and pepper, then turning so they pick up garlic and onion and wine. I had about four or five divisions. Cook until wilted and softened. Shouldn't take more than 10 minutes.

3. Taste and adjust seasonings, Add lemon juice and serve.

mustard greens



No comments:

Post a Comment