Monday, June 2, 2014

Supercalifragilisticexpialidopedish: Mint and Lime Green Beans

I'm starting a new series and this will be the first entry. The name of this series will be Supercalifragilisticexpialidopedish. This dish was just a random thought and it turned out so well that I actually was kind of impressed with myself. You have really got to try it.

mint lime green beans
It all started because I have mint in my house which I never have. I need to start a herb garden because herbs are expensive to buy where I am and I get frustrated when they are not on sale. Anyhoo, I bought some mint because I was trying to recreate this bean salad I had from Trader Joe's months ago and remembered that it had mint in it. So, since I had mint and paid a pretty penny for it, I was not going to let it go to waste. (Btw, Mint is about to go in everything so get ready.)

I started thinking, hmmmm, "I've got green beans in there and I am certainly tired of the same ol', same ol' green beans." (That's my southern speaking.)  "Wonder if I put mint in them would that be nasty? I bet it won't. I gotta try it."

So I did, and I now present the bestest green beans you'll have ever tasted from me.

Yield: 5 servings
 
You will need:

1 lb Green beans / Haricot Vert
Olive Oil
Zest of 1 Lime
2 large garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp mint, chopped fine
1/4 cup onion (I used red)
1/4 cup vegetable stock
Kosher salt
Pepper
Fresh juice from 1 lime

lime mint green beans

Directions:

  1. Heat about a tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat
  2. Mince your garlic and onion as fine as you can.
  3. Zest your lime and chop your mint into very thin strips.
  4. Place your garlic and onion in the pan, stirring for about 1 -2 minutes until softened. 
  5. Pour in your 1/4 cup of veggie stock and then add your lime zest. Continue to cook for another 1-2 minutes. 
  6. Add your green beans and mix thoroughly so that the onions, garlic and zest are coating your green beans. Really get them coated. It's important.
  7. Cover and let cook on medium for about 12 minutes. That's how long mine took to get tender, not crispy, but not overcooked either. I think it had something to do with my stock being cold. Your time might be different but just make sure to watch them. These green beans should be bright green, not that canned green bean color. 
  8. When they are just about ready, remove the lid and let the extra juice in the bottom of the pan evaporate and continue to stir so that the onion mixture really coats the beans. 
  9. Once the cooking liquid is nearly evaporated add a good pinch of kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Then add the squeezed lime juice and stir one last time.
  10. Be done and happy!


 lime garlic mint green beans




No comments:

Post a Comment