Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Cauliflower Mash

Okay folks, I am trying to lose the weight I gained while enrolled in school. I have been trying to avoid really starchy foods and bread but that just exacerbates my lack of side dishes dilemma that we talked about earlier. In trying to expand my side dish repertoire I've been experimenting with cauliflower. I decided to try my hand at cauliflower mash which I think I saw on Pinterest. What I created was actually more like a veggie mash but it turned out really tasty. My husband was so apprehensive of this dish that I decided to put a small amount of potato in it so he would be more willing to try it. He still initially refused to eat it but he eventually came around and once he did he raved about it.

You will need:
1 head of cauliflower
2 Parsnips
2 very small potatoes (white, russet, petite, fingerling, yellow, doesn't matter) 
1 tbsp Butter
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Pepper
1/2 small onion, husk removed but not chopped
4 whole cloves garlic
1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese 


1. Begin by filling a large pot with water and set the burner to high so that you have boiling water ready.
2. While the water is heating,  peel your parsnips and russet potatoes and cut them into small chunks. Once the water is boiling, throw them in along with the garlic and onion. Boil until vegetables are soft and place into a food processor (or bowl if you're using a potato masher). These take longer to soften so that is why I boil them separately.



3. While your other veggies are cooking, break the cauliflower down by removing the leaves and bottom stem. Cut off the florets and cut the core into small pieces. Place the cauliflower into the boiling water and cook until soft, about 7 minutes. Drain and place in the food processor.






4. Once all ingredients are in the food processor add salt, pepper, cheese and butter. Blend to the consistency you desire and the check seasonings on final time. 


Cauliflower Mashed Potates

You now have a creamy low starch substitute for mashed potatoes with this dish. It made my husband a believer so I think you might like too.
Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes



Cauliflower Mashed Potates



Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes



Click Card to Print

No comments:

Post a Comment