Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Salt and Vinegar Kale Chips

Crispy Kale Chips are a healthy snack and the addition of salt and vinegar are an awesome flavoring to this delicious snack.

I've been wanting to make kale chips for so long that I can't even give a time frame. Since returning to healthy eating I have of course been craving all the horrible foods that you are not supposed to eat. In response to those cravings I decided to get inventive and make a substitute for salt and vinegar potato chips which are one of my favorite unhealthy snacks.

These salt and vinegar kale chips are really easy to make, really tasty and provide the crunch and taste that you miss when you can't eat chips. Oh and if you have a kid or two or three, you might want to double up on this. My daughter devoured them. I had to stop her before she ate the whole batch because she would've if I had let her. I think that is actually a serious score- healthy snacks that the kid can't get enough of. That's a plus in my book. Hope you enjoy.

Yield: 6 servings

Ingredients:
1 bunch kale
3 tbsp. vinegar
2 tbsp. olive oil plus more to coat cookie sheet
Kosher Salt to taste

Preparation:
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2.Rinse kale to remove dirt and debris.
3.Remove the kale leaves from the stems, tearing them into bite sized pieces as you go. When you are done breaking the kale down place it in your salad spinner and rinse again. Mine were kinda' grimy so I spent a nice amount of time on this. Now, spin until you can't spin any more. You want your kale to be as dry as you can get it. You might have to do this step in batches depending on how big your salad spinner is.
4.Once your kale is dry place it in a large bowl and add your vinegar and olive oil. Fold the Kale over and over in the bowl until every piece is covered really well.
5.Cover your cookie sheet with aluminum foil and add a bit of olive oil to prevent sticking.
6.Place kale in one single layer on the sheet. You really want the kale to be in one layer, this is how they get crispy. I had one leaf sneak under another and it was cooked but not crispy. Press them down to get them as flat as you can and then sprinkle a little salt over all of the leaves.
7.Cook for about 6 minutes and then check on them. You don't want them to get too dry or dark or they will taste burned. Some of my smaller leaves did this and I think I should have just removed them after the 6 minutes and let the rest cook on if they weren't crispy enough. All leaves should be done by 9 minutes but if they are not just continue to check on them every few minutes. Again, you might have to work in batches unless you use more than one cookie sheet.




No comments:

Post a Comment